Monday, April 02, 2007

Internet Advertising

Apparently global spending on internet advertising increased from $18.7 billion in 2005 to $24.9 billion (£12.6 billion) last year. The UK had nearly double the world average, and radio stations are rightly worried about it. I say rightly, because commercials on radio (and TV for that matter) are devised by idiots and aimed at idiots. That’s why we have mute buttons for TVs, and the channel hopper in the car. (There are exceptions, but they are few and far between.)

I like to read the UK and other European newspapers, and although I don’t mind the advertising, video-streaming is becoming a regal PITA. You just start to read, and up comes this banal movie. Of course, you can close the thing, if you can find the close button, and more recently the sound button! I know the newspapers need the revenue, but they don’t have to make it so offensive and it does distract from the article. The UK’s Telegraph is – in my mind – the worst offender. I even quit sending them £30 ($60) a year for a subscription for the on line Telegraph Crossword. You can check out their website at www.telegraph.co.uk I’m sure you’ll get the gist.

Now, I know a few brainy people in this world. I almost heard some ears prick up then! It seems that software has been written to (almost) get rid of Pop-Ups. How difficult would it be to write an application to do the same thing with video-streaming? I bet customers would pay a decent price for that. So get your thinking caps on Bright Ones. I will gladly do the sales-work!

Sadly, on reflection, I think that the internet will eventually be the death of the printed newspaper, except perhaps on Sunday. I swear that here in Florida where for $1 you get to buy a newspaper that has involved the destruction of several trees as it is so heavy, and full of advertising and little else. Riding my bicycle each Sunday morning to pick it up is very hazardous on the return journey. The best way is to take a grocery-store plastic bag with you, and insert said ‘forest’ into the bag. Then cycle home. Unfortunately, the chances of grazed knees are increased as the bag will try to stop the front wheel from doing its nominated task. I like to do my bit for the environment. But that’s another story, perhaps for another day.

Here endeth today’s lesson.